Monday, August 20, 2012

A Simple Glass

I have had the privilege to know four of the most amazing great-grandparents any one could ask for from both my mom and dads side of the family.  I have many memories from times with them, but one memory has resurfaced that made me smile.  Last week Jason, Avery, and myself where over at my dad's parent's house and my grandmother pulled out some things of my great-grandparents.  My grandpa's parents were from Little Rock, Arkansas and moved here in the 90s.  From that move and several years in Sherman one particular glass made it through the years.  This glass was my great-grandma Burrus' and she drank her tea from it 24/7.  The glass still had a stain on the inside.  My grandma gave the glass to my mom because she knew how close we were to them and how much time we spent with them.  Looking at the glass brought huge tears to my eyes just as it has writing this.  It is amazing how a simple little glass can bring back so many memories.  I am fortunate that I have several things of theirs that will continue to remind me of their loving spirit.

I have often wondered if they look down on me and now my own family and if they are proud, look over Avery, or if they are happy of the woman I have turned out to be.  They were wonderful.  My great-grandfather would let me brush his hair and curl his white locks with my great-grandmother's pump propane curling iron.  I did this over and over.  So the very same day my mom gets my great-grandmothers glass we head on back to McKinney.  We went to see some sweet friends of ours in their new house.  They were telling us about their neighbors house and all the renovations they had done.  She had told her neighbor she wanted to bring me over to see the progress and it was beautiful!  The neighbor was telling me about an estate sell she went to earlier that day and her treasures she had found.  As we were walking toward the door I spotted two glasses sitting on her table and gasped asking her if she had bought those at the estate sale.  She replied, "No sweetie, those are going to Goodwill.  They were my grandmothers and I have no room for them.  If you like them, take them."  I got tears in my eyes because the two glasses where identical to those of my great-grandmothers.  I took the glasses, not because they are beautiful, but because when I see them, they remind me of her glass.  I always wonder if they think about me and my question was answered on a strangers dining room table.  I know that was a way of letting me know they are watching over me and my family.   

No comments: